Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Biographer Inspires Reading and Writing


Montgomery Clift with his "Misfits" co-star, Marilyn Monroe.
You don't know this about me, but I love to read biographies. I love the writing. I love the research. I adore visiting someone's life through the words written by their biographer. In particular, I love Hollywood biographies. Patricia Bosworth is the author of the 1978 Montgomery Clift: A Biography. I consider this to be the best biography that I had read as a teenager. Clift had starred in several of my favorite films: "A Place In The Sun", which was based on the Theodore Dreiser novel,  An American Tragedy;  "Suddenly Last Summer", which was based on the one-act play by Tennessee Williams (it was also directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz); "The Misfits" which was directed by John Huston and featured a screenplay written by Arthur Miller; and "Freud: The Secret Passion" which featured a screenplay written by Jean-Paul Sartre.  Sartre's name was removed from the screen credits by Huston.

Montgomery's films featured collaborations and the works of novelists, screenwriters, playwrights, and directors that I admired. Sometimes reading a biography causes you to go back and explore the works of other writers and or filmmakers. Clift and his generation of actors which included, Monroe, James Dean, and Marlon Brando, were well-read and admired by writers. This love affair between actors and writers is all over the pages of this biography. Also as a reader, when I discovered the connections between writers in the text, I was motivated to read the works of writers that I hadn't yet read. For example, I had read Jean-Paul Sartre, but when I learned of his relationship with Simone de Beauvoir, I immediately went to Mac's Backs on Coventry to get a copy of The Second Sex.

Nobody wrote about Hollywood like Vanity Fair's Patricia Bosworth.
Now about Patricia Bosworth, she is one of my favorite journalists and biographers. She presently serves as a Contributing Editor with my favorite magazine, Vanity Fair. Bosworth has worked at the magazine for nearly 30 years and a reason why I don't throw the book out for at least three or four years--her articles can be read and re-read on the cloudy gray Sunday morning over a cup of Celestial Seasonings tea. Her brief career as an actress featured appearances in films like "Inherit The Wind" and "Young Dr. Malone". I admit I didn't remember seeing her onscreen in either picture. She made the change to journalism and has held positions at Screen Stars, Harper's, McCall's, and of course, Vanity Fair.

A young Elizabeth Taylor with an older, Montgomery Clift
  Bosworth's biography was a tender portrayal of a troubled actor who lived a duplicitous, well confused lifestyle because he wasn't certain about his sexuality. This becomes the crux of the complex story that Bosworth pieces together after conducting her research. The loner whose beautiful looks belied his tremendous acting ability, died alone. His co-star Elizabeth Taylor became one of his closest friends; one of his great loves. Bosworth writes of their relationship:

Copyright 1990 Patricia Bosworth.
 If you enjoy biographies, Bosworth's work is worth reading. There is the Brando book, the Diane Arbus, and the most recent, Jane Fonda biography. I'm glad I spent a couple of weeks re-acquainting myself with the Montgomery Clift biography, it was a welcome, no needed, bit of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment