Thursday, February 9, 2012

When Writers Have Lunch

The famed Round Table at New York City's storied Algonquin.
When writers have lunch together, often the talk turns to the projects at hand. I had lunch with a writer who is working on a new book about family, food, fighting, and of course, love. I won't mention my writer friends' name, but what I will say, next winter, I will be cheering for her in the audience as she reads from her book. This Lit Chick is reaping from sowing into all of our lives when she was head of our literary center, and by the way, I am still angry that the place closed down. We miss the readings, the classes, and dropping over to visit our literary maven!

We don't have a place like the famed Round table at the Algonquin where writers could convene and shoot the breeze about what they were working on and where they were on their projects. So I went to Shaker Heights and caught a bite to eat with a writer friend; heard her read from her manuscript, and shared ideas from the play that I'm working on these days. I had my interest stoked and I swear she laughed at the thought of my musical numbers--"please support musical theater!"

If you write, you must have at least one writer friend to regularly lunch with  to exchange encouragement and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment